Thursday, June 5, 2014

Thoughtful Thursday–Return the cart

Okay. This is a major pet peeve of mine.

Shopping carts left either hitched up on a curb, or simply out in the parking lot. I have MAYBE hitched a cart up at Costco WELL out of the way of a cart “stall” as well as any car MAYBE 3 times in my life. Other than that, I always bring it back. Raining, 2 whiny children, whatever.

This isn’t a rant blog post, allow me to explain.

I’ve heard the excuses. They have someone who specifically works at the store, that is paid to go around and collect the carts (this excuse certainly was not uttered by my husband, no!!). I’m sorry, have you ever heard of common courtesy? That’s why they HAVE the cart stall! For you to return it, so your cart doesn’t unexpectedly try to escape and ding up a fellow shopper’s car.

All this to say…other than returning my cart out of respect for the store’s employees, I have discovered yet another reason which is even more special! Read and listen closely…

LITTLES ARE WATCHING!! AND THEY WILL COPY!

I want my kiddos to display that common courtesy. And we all know that being selfless simply does NOT come naturally. So any and every opportunity I have to display that for them, I’m going to do!

One of my absolute favorite “common courtesy” things my son has picked up on is wiping down the sink in public bathrooms, and picking up any paper towels that miss the trash (WITH another paper towel mind you, thank GOODNESS he learned that from me, too, otherwise, EWW!). It WITHOUT FAIL, makes me smile each and every time I see him do it. It’s a baby step mind you, but it’s a step. It’s a glimmer of hope that he has it in him! =)

So, will you think twice before leaving the cart? What other ways do you model to your kids other common courtesies?

1 comment:

  1. Love that you are passing this on to your kiddos. One of my colleagues made an observation that I think applies and that I remember each time I go shopping. "You can tell a lot about a person by what they do with their shopping cart after they're done with it." Little eyes are not the only ones watching. It takes little effort and can help multiple people. Simple yet valuable. I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Help a rookie out and leave a comment...it's ALWAYS fun to hear from you!