Thursday, March 10, 2011

You’re My Pot O’ Gold

Happy St. Patrick’s Day

Here is the perfect example of why I test things out myself before posting ideas to my blog. Not that there’s anything wrong with this idea, it just helps to have a bit more…knowledge before entering into a “project”.

Supplies

  • Pretzel Bags (from Michael’s – they are skinny! 2.25x9.75”)
  • Rainbow Twizzlers (found ‘em at Kmart – and called about 6-7 stores prior to that)
  • Gold Coins or Hershey’s Gold Nuggets (get the bags first, the coins may not fit)
  • Cute tag to top it off!

IMG_4199 I came across this super cute idea on The Busy Budgeting Mama, and thought they’d be fun to “throw together”.

Ha! My first challenge was finding the Rainbow Twizzlers. So, make some phone calls before you drive around.

Second, the gold coins I found at Winco would NOT have fit into these pretzels bags. Thankfully, I opted for the Hershey Nuggets because they taste far better than chocolate gold coins anyhow, am I right?

Lastly, arranging the Twizzlers and chocolates INTO the bag? Not terribly challenging, but you don’t just “fill the bag and call it done”! I used a bamboo skewer to help guide the items down into the bag.

If you decide to make them, hope my little tips help. There’s a free printable over at it is what it is here. Silly me made my own, just because. =)

Again…sorry to any friends who receive this gift and have the “surprise” ruined ahead of time. But I’m sure you’ll still enjoy your special treat.

4 comments:

  1. super cute!! love your tips.. i haven't made mine up yet so these are good to know!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing and for linking over to my blog! Love your adaptations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have probably the silliest question. How did you cut our the edges? And did you staple the tag to the bag? Would love to see what the back looks like. Your adaptation is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a silly question at all! Actually, I considered explaining how I put it on. I used a punch. What I do is save a 40% off coupon at Michael's and then stock up on punches. Here's a link for a sample punch:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/EK-Success-Paper-Shapers-Large-Nesting-Punch-1.5-Scallop-Circle/12356337?sourceid=1500000000000003260360&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=12356337

    To attach it, I just folded the bag over at the top, put a loop of packing tape, and slapped the tag right on top of it. If I get around to it before baby comes, I'll post a pic of the back. Hope that helps TnT kNK. =)

    ReplyDelete

Help a rookie out and leave a comment...it's ALWAYS fun to hear from you!