Thursday, June 3, 2010

Meatball & Chard Salad

I was introduced to a local farm company named "Farm Fresh to You" about 3 months ago. They deliver organic produce as often as once a week to your doorstep! You can choose what you like, or choose to receive whatever happens to be in season at the time. We chose to go with what's in season, hoping it would prompt growth in the kitchen. Let me tell you, boy howdy, has it prompted growth! 


ONE of the first deliveries delivered with a previously unknown "ingredient" included: Red Chard. I later came to find out that chard actually comes in almost every color - yellow, green, purple, etc. 


For those of you who still feel a BIT like you're a cooking newbie, here's a picture of how the green chard comes delivered:




Anyhow, I hopped online to discover a recipe. The majority of chard recipes I found were very similar, however, both my husband and I took quite a liking to this particular recipe:




Meatball and Chard Salad
1 ¼ lb. ground pork or chicken
¼ c. pine nuts
¼ c. chopped raisins
¼ tsp. cinnamon
1 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 bunches Swiss chard, leaves cut into 2-inch strips (@ 12 cups)
1 small baguette, sliced

Directions: Heat broiler. Combine pork, pine nuts, raisins, cinnamon, 1 tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper. From mixture into 20 walnut sized meatballs. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil, turning once, until cooked through 8-10 minutes. (I always end up cooking them longer, because I prefer my meat well done.)




Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook garlic, stirring until golden, 1-2 min. Add chard, ½ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper. Cook, tossing, until wilted. Serve with meatballs and bread.


I added some picture here, because when I began cooking, I was always nervous I was doing something wrong. For example, when I put the amount of chard called for into my pan, I was shocked at how full it was. But, then I saw it wilt down....like this:



Part of the reason I love recipes such as this one, is that I can do all the prep work either during Cooper's nap, or while he's not....you know...clinging to my leg in desperation begging to come "UP" during that all too often dreaded "arsenic hour" right around dinner time? I prepped the meatball and cut up the chard and tossed them in the fridge. Then, come dinner time, it only takes about 10 minutes to complete. It's great! Hope you enjoy...or at least take a stab at chard. It's on our list now! 


Yum-o!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Help a rookie out and leave a comment...it's ALWAYS fun to hear from you!