Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Cool Summer Days – 1 month down!

So our final day of June was Superman’s birthday. However, Cooper and I were simply recovering from our recent trip to LA. So, instead, we had popsicles and a tea party with Elmo. I know, I know…my son having a tea party. My husband thought he was going to keel over and die when he first heard my mother-in-law had purchased my son a tea set. But, the entire household has enjoyed what it has brought. Imaginative play, an attitude of service (he will bring tea to anyone in the house), and maybe some manners? Okay, so maybe that last one is a stretch. ;) It’s a sock monkey tea set, so as manly as tea sets can get.

IMG_1730 IMG_1732 I think with our completion of our first month of Cool Summer Days activities I have learned the following (which you have probably seen in my myriad of posts):

  • Planning is crucial! Activities would not have been accomplished if I had not planned them out the month ahead. The master calendar was very helpful!
  • Planning made for a variety of fun, new activities that would not have been had otherwise!
  • Flexibility is key….you cannot predict what your child will or will not like, or what he or she will be up to each day. So, either have a backup plan, or be okay with the fact that you just might not get accomplished what you had hoped for that day.
  • Stick to it! There were many points where I felt like this was overwhelming. But each time I hit that point, Cooper and I would have a wonderful experience that had been planned on the calendar. Try it for at least a month! The fun may surprise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help a rookie out and leave a comment...it's ALWAYS fun to hear from you!